Always having turkey for your Christmas dinner? Try our roast goose recipe for a tasty change!
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 3 hours and 45 minutes
- 5.5-kg goose, thawed
- 250 g bacon, sliced
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp dryMarsalawine
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 pc green cooking apple
- 1 pc onion
- 1 pc green cabbage
- 1 pc red cabbage
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- ¼ cup currant jelly
How to Cook Roast Goose
1. Remove the neck and giblets and scrape out the fat from the goose before rinsing it andpatting it to dry. Skew the neck skin to the back of the goose. Lift wings toward the neck of the goose then fold them under the back while the breast is facing up. Tie the tail and the legs together with a string. Pierce the skin in several places using a fork.
2. Rub the salt on the goose then put it on the roasting pan. Stick a thermometer between the thigh and breast, making sure that it does not touch the bone. Roast the goose in a preheated oven, 350 degrees, until the temperature in the thermometer reaches 180 degrees.
3. Slice the onion and cabbages, cut the bacon to half-inch slices, and then dice the apples after one hour of roasting the goose. Cook half of the bacon in a skillet over medium heat, and then put the cooked bacon on paper towels to drain the oil. Cook the apples, red cabbage, sugar and wine vinegar with one teaspoon of salt in the bacon oil for 25 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
4. Cook the other half of the bacon in a saucepan over medium-low heat and drain the cooked bacon by putting it on a paper towel. Cook the onions, green cabbage and caraway seeds with one teaspoon of salt in the bacon oil for 20 minutes or until the onions and cabbage are tender.
5. Heat the marsala wine and the currant jelly in a saucepan about 20 minutes before the goose is done. Put the cabbage on a platter, and remove the strings and the skewers from the goose before putting it on the cabbage. Let it stand for 10 minutes then carve.